Confession: I have never dyed my hair. Ever. Yes, I know-shock! horror! Imagine, a beauty blogger who has never dyed her hair. There are several reasons for this:
- Pure unadulterated fear.
- Fear (once again) of the unknown: Will it look good? What colour will work for me? Do I use a box or go to a salon? What happens if at all goes awry? Will it be dry and damaged?
- Fear of my father: This one is meant in jest. I don’t actually fear my father, but seeing the look on his face every time I threaten to dye my hair is fun. Which brings me to my next point,
- Pride: I am the only one in my family who has this colour hair. Everyone else has been blessed with black glossy hair but I am the light sheep of the flock. Since I was in high school and began entertaining the idea of blonde highlights (ala Rachel Green from FRIENDS), everyone in my family would lament about what a shame it would be to hide my unique colour.
- $$: Do I really want to be bothered with maintaining a colour or re-dyeing to achieve uniformity?
- My hair changes naturally in the sun. My hair colour is not flat; in fact, in the sun a plethora of natural (mostly auburn, light brown, and hazelnut) highlights shine through. In the summer it naturally lightens to a shade lighter. My colour has darkened naturally since my high school days, but I attribute that to not getting outdoors as often. Just a theory.
I may be adventuresome with my makeup, but getting my hair cut always leads to heart palpitations and anxiety. So when I want to be slightly risky and wild without the consequence, I meander over to the Hollywood Hair Virtual Makeover and play around with hairstyles from the outrageous to the refined. And now, to lighten the mood, here are the results of their most popular celebrity hairstyles (laughing is encouraged):
For nostalgic purposes, “The Rachel” (aka Jennifer Aniston)
Kristen Stewart (aka “Bella Swan”…I still hate Twilight)
Red (the IT colour for autumn…just not it for me)
This site is great fun, especially if you get a group of girlfriends together for a laugh. Also, if you are looking for a bridal or special event “do,” try a few on without the stylist fee!